This is a contract covering an estimated ten-month leave. This role provides administrative, financial reporting and technical support to the Fire and Emergency services department. This position is responsible for assisting the public with general inquiries and liaising with firefighters daily.
• Act as the first point of contact for the public to the Fire department by ensuring that each person is assisted and directed to the appropriate service, in an efficient, friendly and timely manner.
• Manage a large amount of firefighter data daily by reviewing and entering call response and firefighter activity data in Fire Pro software system
• Responsible for paper filing and data entering firefighter information into Fire Pro such as training, certificates, personal information changes, etc.
• Prepare and review quarterly payroll reports from Fire Pro system to ensure all time is recorded accurately.
• Maintain firefighter contact information including address, e-mails, telephone and fax lists for department and firefighters.
• Provide fire report file search to identify property deficiencies recorded in Property Files, Lisa Program and Laser Fiche. Invoice the requestor.
• Issue burn permits; collects fees, issue receipts; and prepare and maintain the associated databases
• Assist with the preparation and distribution of correspondence, staff reports, by-law updates, and contract and procurement documents. • Prepare invoices for the District of Muskoka for false alarms, motor vehicle accidents, etc.
• Record and send data from fire calls to the Ministry of Natural Resources and HIRA (District Office)
• Follow the bylaw related to records management and maintain current knowledge of records management principles for all records generated. Store, locate and research departmental archives as requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience • Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent.
• Post-secondary certificate in a related field, or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in an administrative role.
• Excellent communication and diplomacy skills both written and verbal.
• Strong technological ability and experience; Excel, databases, financial software, etc.
• Ability to manage confidential information and practice discretion with sensitive information.
• Valid Ontario driver’s license, class G
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to perform in a proactive manner and plan, prioritize and balance multiple responsibilities and priorities.
Provide oversight of data and voice communications systems for Township staff and Council through management of asset replacement program, providing Tier 1 technical support, liaising with and assisting the Township’s contracted managed service provider (MSP) to ensure system and network availability, assigning computer assets to and collecting from staff as part of on-boarding and off-boarding activities, and tracking and maintaining all Township owned, leased and/or licensed hardware and software.
• Troubleshoot IT issues and provide remedial support through an ability to diagnose issues and determine the best course of action at all Township locations as needed
• Assist the MSP with onsite communication for higher level support issues, and in the implementation, testing and documentation of software upgrades, conversions and other procedural changes and
• Assess existing business processes to identify potential areas for process improvement opportunities and co-ordinate implementation of new software applications as required
• Support project management of various technology projects regarding implementation of new software programs which includes providing technical advice on request for proposals (RFPs), participating in vendor selection, liaising with vendors, facilitating end-user training and on-going follow-up of issues post-implementation
• Manage the inventory of all IT equipment, including computer hardware, printers, monitors and peripherals, scanners, mobile devices, VOIP phone system sets
• Maintain a list of all licensed software and ensure all licensing is current and manage license renewal as required with software vendors
• Develop and deploy an equipment refresh program in accordance with Township policy and/or recommendations from the Township’s MSP and arrange for secure disposal of obsolete equipment
• Consult and develop Township IT policy for management and use of IT assets
• Manage issues related to internet connectivity and work with providers to achieve acceptable service levels at all locations • Develop and deliver corporate IT training, such as computer and network orientation (including email), security awareness, phone systems and accessible documents.
• Monitor in-year spending of the annual operating and capital IT budget and assist the Director of Financial Services in developing the department budget, including key capital investments
• Co-ordinate with Human Resources for IT on-boarding and off-boarding of employees and ensure network access and permissions are consistent with the department and level of employee
• Demonstrate excellent communication skills for communicating with staff and Township’s MSP.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Degree or diploma in computer science or a related field or equivalent experience.
• 3-4 years experience, preferably in a municipal setting and knowledge of municipal software (e.g. financial (Vadim iCity, Questica), GIS mapping (ESRI, Mapinfo, GeoHub), Cloudpermit, Land Information System Application (Marmac).
• Advanced knowledge of MSWindows operating systems (server and desktop) and network configuration parameters; working with SQL server would be considered an asset.
• Demonstrated ability to acquire knowledge of security applications (i.e. firewall) and enterprise-wide software (e.g. MS365). • Proficient oral and written communication skills.
• Proven ability to work in a team, effectively interact with others, handle a number of ongoing projects and an ability to work independently.