Opportunity Functioning in this specialist role, in a team supported by a Senior Planner, three Planners, a Planning Technician, and two administrative professionals, this coverage for a maternity leave will provide an excellent experience for the right candidate to focus on practical aspects of processing Planning Act applications and a range of related planning responsibilities, including administering public meetings.
• Assume the role of Secretary/Treasurer for the Committee of Adjustment and perform statutory, assigned and delegated authority functions for the corporation.
• Process applications for severances, concurrent severances, zoning amendments and minor variances, by ensuring completeness of submitted information, reviewing property history to ensure compliance with the Planning Act, notifying neighbours and obtaining comments, and providing an analysis of applications for consent and making a recommendation on the file when required.
• Prepare and register consent agreements.
• Coordinate fulfilling conditions with external clients (i.e. surveyors, lawyers, applicants, agents, MPAC), and respond to inquiries on the files.
• Prepare Notices of Hearing and Decision as required by the Planning Act, including the key plan and appropriate maps.
• Prepare agendas and resolutions for the Committee of Adjustment and Planning Committee meetings, assist in coordinating applicant attendance at the meetings and manage the meeting in general.
• Review and comment on plans of survey to ensure compliance with the zoning by-law, working closely with the surveyor for clarification or further information.
• Review and approve deeds/consent certificates to ensure all conditions of the severance have been fulfilled, clarifying legal descriptions or wording with the lawyer as needed.
• Provide information and assistance to staff and other departments as required.
• Prepare and circulate required documentation within legislative requirements.
• Prepare and circulate septic information as required.
• Assist in data collection for Local Planning Appeal Tribunal hearings as required.
• Related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Post secondary certificate in a related field (i.e. Planning, Legal, Business Admin, etc.).
• Municipal Administration Program or the Primer on Planning (AMCTO), would be an asset
• 2-3 years’ experience in a related field
• A solid understanding of and technical expertise with respect to legislation, regulations, policy and related systems (i.e. Land Registry System).
• Technological proficiency, including GIS mapping, MS Word and Excel
• Proven ability to take initiative and make independent evaluations or recommendations.
Anchored by the larger communities of Bala, Port Carling and Windermere, the municipality offers the sophistication of a popular tourism destination, plus the wholesomeness of country living. With an abundance of natural beauty, Muskoka Lakes is a great place to live, work and play. The Township provides opportunity to learn, grow and build your career.
As one of six Building Inspectors, under a DCBO and CBO, this newly added position will help the department continue to deliver a high level of service to the community. The area provides a wide array of structures (primarily seasonal residences and accessory buildings), giving the role a good degree of problem solving and collaboration. This job is well suited to someone who enjoys continuous learning both formal and informal, and has a solid understanding of housing construction.
• Conduct inspections, within legislated timelines, for the compliance of construction with the Ontario Building Code and maintain accurate records of permits and inspections.
• Inspect existing buildings and premises for change of use, occupancy or compliance with applicable codes and ordinances; work with the public to ensure structures are safe and ready for occupancy.
• Prepare accurate, detailed and timely reports on all inspections carried out.
• Issue orders as required and ensure clear communication with respect to the remedy.
• Prepare court briefs and assist in the prosecution of offenders, prepare and present evidence in court as required concerning BCA and by-law enforcement.
• Conduct detail-oriented reviews of plans for compliance with the Municipal zoning by-law and the Ontario Building Code and applicable law.
• Respond to inquiries from the public and contractors to provide information concerning codes and information pertinent to projects, both over the phone and at the public counter.
• Mentor technical and administrative staff in methods, procedures and techniques, and in the administration of legislation, codes and by-laws.
• Maintain skills and knowledge at a high level by taking training through courses, seminars, workshops and selected reading.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Post-secondary education in architectural, construction, or applied science technology program or related equivalent experience.
• Successful completion of the BCIN exams (minimum House and General Legal)
• Strong knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and Occupational Health and Safety Act
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, GIS and databases.
• Valid Ontario driver’s license and Pleasure Craft Operator license.
• Strong values match to the Code of Conduct required for both Building Inspectors and Township of Muskoka Lakes employees.