Reporting to the Chief Estimator, the Senior Estimator is responsible for managing the procurement process for all assigned projects from the concept to lump sum tender, including participation in the contract letting and planning stage. This role is responsible for management of assigned estimating staff subcontractor/supplier relations and continual development of estimating procedures and processes to achieve the Company business plan. This position requires a highly experienced, dynamic leader with sound knowledge of fundamental estimating, excellent vendor and client relationship ability and business development.
- Accurately interpret and comprehend tender drawings and specifications
- Perform and/or direct quantity take-offs from tender drawings.
- Develop strategies to create a competitive edge
- Budget development and submission
- Detailed and comprehensive quantity takeoff and accurate cost evaluation
- Subcontractor and supplier bid solicitation, scope definition and clarification, risk evaluation and bid submission
- Oversee the tendering and awarding of contracts
- Point of contact and advisor for assigned project(s) from initial contact with client to handover/transfer of project to the project team upon contract award
- Able to successfully and independently lead a Design-Build project through the tender stage, including involvement in team meetings
- Mentorship of junior employees.
- Actively participate in business development efforts to identify and track client and project pursuits
- Perform any other task related to the position
- College diploma (technical in civil engineering, construction management, architecture) or bachelor’s in engineering
- At least 5 years of related experience in a lead estimating role
- Ability to logically sequence construction work and build project schedule
- Planning, scheduling and organization skills
- Proficiency with computer programs such as bid management and estimating software
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Professional Quantity Surveyor (PQS) from CIQS would be an asset
- Experience working with Procore would be an asset